There is plenty of “How to Articles” on interviewing. Let’s take the time to talk about “What not to do” in an interview.
- Arrive late- If you arrive late to an interview go ahead and hang it up. You gave away any chance you have of securing that job. Plan accordingly for traffic jams; wake up early to make coffee, breakfast and if need be just skip the shower.
- Dress inappropriately- This goes without saying but be sure to dress appropriate. Do not wear revealing clothes leave the club attire at home; make sure you look professional yet conservative. “ Dress for the job you want, not the job you have”
- Be hung-over at the interview- So you got offered the chance to interview? Time to celebrate right? Nope wrong stay in tonight and do not go to the bar/club. No one wants to throw up in their potential employer’s waste basket.
- Poop in the recruiter’s potted plant- If you decide working is not for you then go ahead and poop in the recruiter’s potted plant. I am sure you will most definitely make an impression.
- Forget your resume – Completely forget to bring your resume to the interview. I must admit I have been guilty of this a few times. Do not assume your interviewer has a soft copy of your resume make sure to bring a complete, updated and professional resume to the interview that details your skill set, education and if available references.
- Talk poorly about previous bosses- Never talk bad about a previous employer. This shows a distinct lack of professionalism and there is no place for that in the workplace or is there?